River Usk & Bridge
Also known as "Coed-yr-Ynys Bridge", is an early 18th-century bridge that crosses the River Usk to the north of Llangynidr. It carries the B4560 road towards Bwlch. The existing stone bridge dates from approximately 1700 and is thought by some to be the oldest bridge on the River Usk. 

The River Usk & Bridge at Llangynidr
Llangynidr Bridge which is where the B4560 crosses the River Usk north of Llangynidr. This road runs between Beaufort and Talgarth. This particularly impressive bridge carries a road over the river Usk, five miles west of Crickhowell. This was an important link between the Usk valley and the emerging industry of the South Wales valleys and is an impressive route up the side of Mynydd Llangynidr and across the moors to Beaufort.

It has six segmental stone arches and the roadway is only 2.5 m. (8 ft.) wide. It is sometimes known as Coed yr Ynys bridge after the nearby part of Llangynidr. Like the bridge at Crickhowell it has triangular cut-waters at the piers which are extended upward to road level to provide pedestrian refuges. Llangynidr Bridge was erected c1700 replacing an earlier structure. It is a rubble stone bridge with 6 segmental arches. V shaped cutwaters rising to full height of the parapet. The parapet has plain copings. The bridge spans the two communities of Llangynidr and Cwmdu with Bwlch and Cathedine.

(Source CADW Listed buildings description)

Throughout the Site just click on the Blue texts for more information
Go to top